Bayou St. John Light
Nov. 5, 2019USLHS Seal Emblem for the US Lighthouse Service
Bayou St. John Light, Lake Pontchartrain, mouth of the Bayou St. John, Louisiana
BAYOU ST. JOHN LIGHT
Location: CANAL DE CARONDOLET, BETWEEN NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN
Station Established: 1811
Year First Lit: 1811
Operational: No
Automated: N/A
Deactivated: 1878
Tower Shape/Markings/Pattern: Octagonal wooden tower on artificial island, destroyed by storm in 1837; 1838 a new 48-foot tower was constructed; in 1855 a screwpile, cottage-type structure was built, damaged during 1860 hurricane; 1869 a tower was built on the screwpile foundation.
Height: 48'
Original Lens: Sixth Order, Fresnel (1869)
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:
Historical Information:
- 1808 – Congress authorized $2,000 to build the lighthouse. It would be the first lighthouse built in the United States outside of the original 13 colonies.
- 1811 – Lighthouse completed and station established.
- 1813 – Original lamp replaced by street lamp from New Orleans.
- 1837 – Original tower swept away in a storm.
- 1839 – Light installed in new lighthouse.
- 1854 – Sagging tower fortified.
- 1856 – New, pre-fabricated screwpile lighthouse put into place.
- 1860 – Hurricane irreparably damaged lighthouse
- 1869 – Replacement lighthouse erected on original screwpiles.
- 1878 – Lighthouse discontinued at this location.
Keepers:
- A.B. Shelby (1856 – unknown)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.